From: Alec Moskvin <alecm@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:08:59
1 On Tuesday 27 March 2012 14:34:03, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 20:01 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:49:00PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
4 > > > I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to create a
5 > > > separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my first Gentoo
6 > > > systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of fragmentation, much
7 > > > slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it when I changed my
8 > > > partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate and a lot of disk
9 > > > space lost (I remember portage tree reached around 3 GB of disk space
10 > > > while I am now running with 300MB)
11 > > >
12 > > > Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
13 > > > partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be better
14 > > > for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled, but maybe you
15 > > > have other different setups.
16 > >
17 > > To be honest, I don't think it is wise to describe it in the Gentoo Handbook
18 > > just yet. I don't mind having it documented elsewhere, but the separate
19 > > partition is not mandatory for getting Gentoo up and running. The
20 > > instructions currently also just give an example partition layout and tell
21 > > users that different layouts are perfectly possible.
22 > >
23 > > We need to take into consideration what is needed (must) for a Gentoo
24 > > installation, what is seriously recommended (should), what is nice to have
25 > > (could), etc. And for me, having a separate /usr/portage is a nice-to-have
26 > > imo.
27 >
28 > The partitioning scheme is something that the user needs to decide on
29 > *before* getting Gentoo up and running. After the user had finished
30 > installing the operating system, it's too late to inform him about the
31 > advantages of a separate /usr/portage.
32
33 It does not have to be a separate *physical* partition. It could be set
34 up as a loop device without any real downsides:
35
36 /usr/portage/tree.ext4 /usr/portage/tree ext4 loop,noatime 0 0
37
38 An advantage is that it can be easily resized if necessary.
39
40 > IMHO, chapter 4 of the handbook needs the following changes:
41 >
42 > 1. ext4, not ext3, needs to be recommended as the default filesystem. We
43 > have kernel 3.2 marked stable, there is no need to keep talking about
44 > ext4 as if it's something experimental.
45 >
46 > 2. The handbook should mention that a separate small /usr/portage
47 > partition can noticeably improve performance for users with a rotational
48 > hard drive, and that it's not needed for solid-state drives. It should
49 > also mention that using Gentoo with a separate /usr/portage partition
50 > will require some additional configuration (such as changing DISTDIR and
51 > PKGDIR to avoid running out of space).
52 >
53 > -Alexandre.