From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:35:24
1 On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 20:01 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:49:00PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to create a
4 > > separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my first Gentoo
5 > > systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of fragmentation, much
6 > > slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it when I changed my
7 > > partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate and a lot of disk
8 > > space lost (I remember portage tree reached around 3 GB of disk space
9 > > while I am now running with 300MB)
10 > >
11 > > Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
12 > > partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be better
13 > > for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled, but maybe you
14 > > have other different setups.
15 >
16 > To be honest, I don't think it is wise to describe it in the Gentoo Handbook
17 > just yet. I don't mind having it documented elsewhere, but the separate
18 > partition is not mandatory for getting Gentoo up and running. The
19 > instructions currently also just give an example partition layout and tell
20 > users that different layouts are perfectly possible.
21 >
22 > We need to take into consideration what is needed (must) for a Gentoo
23 > installation, what is seriously recommended (should), what is nice to have
24 > (could), etc. And for me, having a separate /usr/portage is a nice-to-have
25 > imo.
26
27 The partitioning scheme is something that the user needs to decide on
28 *before* getting Gentoo up and running. After the user had finished
29 installing the operating system, it's too late to inform him about the
30 advantages of a separate /usr/portage.
31
32 IMHO, chapter 4 of the handbook needs the following changes:
33
34 1. ext4, not ext3, needs to be recommended as the default filesystem. We
35 have kernel 3.2 marked stable, there is no need to keep talking about
36 ext4 as if it's something experimental.
37
38 2. The handbook should mention that a separate small /usr/portage
39 partition can noticeably improve performance for users with a rotational
40 hard drive, and that it's not needed for solid-state drives. It should
41 also mention that using Gentoo with a separate /usr/portage partition
42 will require some additional configuration (such as changing DISTDIR and
43 PKGDIR to avoid running out of space).
44
45 -Alexandre.