From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:32:01
1 On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:03:08 +0100
2 Jan Matejka <yac@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > No, categories are essentially directories.
5 >
6 > fixed: categories are essentially also directories.
7
8 Also? No, categories are *essentially* directories: they keep files
9 apart that should not go together. In precisely that way, their names
10 happen to aid in building unique atoms, which you need to be able to
11 tell a package manager (or development tool) which precise bunch of
12 files you want to read/address/target/modify/etc.
13
14 They are *also* other things, like identifiers for actual categories of
15 packages (hence the name), which may or may not suit someone's needs in
16 finding packages based on keywords.
17
18 Stating in a GLEP that they're a "giant mistake" means you'll have to
19 polish the document till you have rephrased that into something true
20 and acceptable, or until you have purged every mention and reference of
21 the "giant mistake" because it does not serve the purpose of the GLEP
22 at all.
23
24 Categories are *essential* to the way the repositories now work, and
25 they're not going away, especially not by way of this GLEP. See below.
26
27 > > I was asking about tags, not about categories.
28 >
29 > The original mails are:
30 >
31 > > On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:46:09 +0100