From: yac <yac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 02:56:34
1 On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:31:45 +0100
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:03:08 +0100
5 > Jan Matejka <yac@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > > No, categories are essentially directories.
8 > >
9 > > fixed: categories are essentially also directories.
10 >
11 > Also? No, categories are *essentially* directories: they keep files
12 > apart that should not go together. In precisely that way, their names
13 > happen to aid in building unique atoms, which you need to be able to
14 > tell a package manager (or development tool) which precise bunch of
15 > files you want to read/address/target/modify/etc.
16 >
17 > They are *also* other things, like identifiers for actual categories
18 > of packages (hence the name)
19
20 These are all accidental properties of our categories application. I
21 don't see how they are relevant.
22
23 What I was describing is the difference between fundamental properties
24 of categories and tags.
25
26 > which may or may not suit someone's
27 > needs in finding packages based on keywords.
28
29 That's where tags comes in.
30
31 > Stating in a GLEP that they're a "giant mistake" means you'll have to
32 > polish the document till you have rephrased that into something true
33
34 agreed.
35
36 > and acceptable, or until you have purged every mention and reference
37 > of the "giant mistake" because it does not serve the purpose of the
38 > GLEP at all.
39 >
40 > Categories are *essential* to the way the repositories now work, and
41 > they're not going away, especially not by way of this GLEP. See below.
42 >
43 > > > I was asking about tags, not about categories.
44 > >
45 > > The original mails are:
46 > >
47 > > > On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:46:09 +0100