From: Guy Martin <gmsoft@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:20:17
1 On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:05:34 -0500
2 Jon Hood <squinky86@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > net-p2p/mldonkey- I refuse to mark >2.5.16 stable because of numerous
5 > bug reports and stability problems with the newer versions (though the
6 > latest version in portage does seem a bit more stable). Completely
7 > ignoring this, those versions are on the "stable on hppa". It's not a
8 > majorly critical package, but it is an example of the QA done by the
9 > maintainer, and the arch maintainer going beyond it. I don't mind much,
10 > because I have yet to get a bug report from an hppa user, but I would
11 > have prefered to keep it all testing until for at least another month.
14 I've been running it 1 week with ~5Gb of dl on two box before marking it
15 stable and it still never crashed but I had some minor problems with the
16 current x86 stable one.
17
18 So, I did *extensive* QA on this packages as I do for every other package.
19 When I say extensive, that means I do everything wich I have the time and
20 the ressources for. I don't have thousands of users behind me to test stuff.
21
22 Also, I marked this directly stable because I don't have time and manpower
23 to first mark it ~hppa and then hppa. For thoses non-critical packages,
24 that's the way I proceed. Give me 10 more devs, 50000 users some fast box
25 and I'll apply to policy regarding the testing stuff for all packages.
29 Guy Martin
30 Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team
31 Lug Charleroi (Belgium)