From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 36: providing both CVS and Subversion?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:33:55
1 On Tuesday 12 April 2005 8:57 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:50:36 +0200 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | On Monday 11 April 2005 22:42, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > | > Well, surprisingly enough, one of the main reasons we use these
7 > | > version control things is so that we can see *what changed*. It's a
8 > | > hell of a lot easier to do this when you can just say "show me
9 > | > everything that changed in the foo project between three days ago
10 > | > and today" rather than having to worry about adding in extra
11 > | > selections to pick a project path.
12 > |
13 > | You need to do this anyway. Whether it's a path inside the repository
14 > | or on the webserver doesn't matter. It's like
15 > | https://svn.gentoo.org/gentoo/projA where /gentoo is the name of the
16 > | repos or https://svn.gentoo.org/gentoo/projA where /gentoo is a
17 > | superdirectory of all project repositories that are now housed in the
18 > | gentoo cvs repository. In either case /gentoo could be removed.
19 >
20 > No, with certain operations you need to start giving entire paths if and
21 > only if you're not operating on the repo as a whole.
22
23 If you loose when using svn as client, then you might wanna have a
24 look at svk which already has star-merge capabilities. Or just
25 don't merg until svn 1.3 is out (which will have it)
26
27 > | > One big repository is harder to work with. It's that simple.
28 > |
29 > | With one exception, that is, sharing and merging within a repository
30 > | is a lot easier than between two separate repositories.
31 >
32 > Which is an extremely rare task compared to doing things like diffs and
33 > branch merges...
34
35 http://rt.openfoundry.org/Foundry/Project/Download/Attachment/28786/20705/SVK-0.991.tar.gz
36 (or wait for the ebuild)
37
38 play a bit around, feel it, and report your experiences. when having problems
39 (like you seem to *always* complain) report in *detail*.
40
41 Finally, just don't use svn if you feel that uncomfortable with it. No one
42 said that cvs will go away. I'm tired of reading your 'svn is hard to merge
43 because it *is* hard to merge' posts :(
44
45 Sorry, but this is how it comes over.
46 Christian Parpart.
49 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
50 03:28:51 up 20 days, 16:35, 0 users, load average: 0.40, 0.27, 0.21