From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:16:21
1 On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 09:34 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:28:50 -0400
3 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 07:30 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
6 > > > banning/suspending a user from a mailing list. They would retain the
7 > > > right to receive the mail, just not comment for a short period (and
8 > > > hopefully cooler heads will prevail, yada, etc.).
9 > >
10 > > You mean the privilege to receive the mails, right?
11 > >
12 > Actually, not exactly :) Not knowing anything about the particular list
13 > management software we're using, of course, and basing this only my
14 > experience with other mailing lists and our own (ancient) listserv's
15 > here at work, users can be placed in read-only status, which means they
16 > can't post to the list, but still receive the mailings. Possibly not
17 > feasible with out particular list implementation, but something I
18 > thought I'd toss out there.
19
20 Well, mlmmj doesn't have this sort of feature. Instead, it has a more
21 procmail-like access list. We can use that to put users into a
22 read-only status, by filtering for them and denying posting from them,
23 but that still doesn't change my opinion that participation on the
24 mailing lists, including *receiving* mails, is a privilege, not a right.
25 Currently, it is a privilege that we extend to anyone, and we have not
26 revoked it except in dire circumstances.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation