From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 06:59:45
1 On Saturday 24 August 2002 07:24, Gregg wrote:
2 > Everyone keeps telling me how brave I am. I have to say, it doesnt seem
3 > that way to me.
4
5 Sure, backup solutions are bought after the first real big crash, security
6 measures are taken after one billion credit card numbers have been stolen
7 etc. you get the picture. I have absolutely no idea what kind of customers
8 you have but I wouldn't want to have my domain hosted on a system running on
9 gcc 3.1 and all the latest packages.
10
11 It's great for me at home but for serious computing it's just not reliable
12 enough. I don't say it has to crash but I say I don't know enough working
13 examples and theres no vendor to blame.
14
15 Sure you've had no real outage (due to gentoo), many ppl never had problems
16 with xfs, I lost part of my homedir. On the other hand I never had problems
17 with reiserfs even when it wasn't in the main kernel others lost everything.
18 It's all about the risk.
19
20 Gcc 3.1 is not as tested as it should be (heck 3.1 is not even the "real" 3.x
21 release) and some software is behaving strangely especially with athlon
22 optimizations. Gentoo itself is known to have broken ebuilds etc. (I've yet
23 to emerge one of those myself so far everything has worked).
24
25 That's why we say brave. It's really great to have someone testing all this
26 out but I just wouldn't test it on paying customers that don't know about all
27 this. You do know about "production", "integration" and "testing" systems? :)
30 Alex
33 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
34 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
35 Benjamin Franklin