From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC - apache start page.
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:05:41
1 On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 08:22 -0700, Erik Swanson wrote:
2 > I like the idea, but I'd appreciate being able to turn it off with
3 > something like USE="-branding".
4 >
5 > 'branding' is a global use flag I'd like to see implemented that would
6 > toggle all branding (logos/artwork, custom themes, mentions of gentoo
7 > in a package's build info, etc...) of packages. I do think such a flag
8 > would belong in make.defaults because branding is a reasonable thing to
9 > do by default and even I would only want to turn it off in a few cases.
10 > (Examples of branding I'd like to turn off are the gnome splash screen,
11 > qmail's banner, the apache banner on error pages, and of course this.)
12
13 This has been brought up before. Gentoo minimizes branding and I do not
14 think this warrants yet another USE flag. This is exactly what the
15 'hardened php' thread was about, introducing USE flags for such
16 trivialities.
17
18 Using another splash screen for gnome is editing 1 gconf key. I do not
19 consider it intrusive (you see it for like 3 secs & how often do you log
20 in) & I never had one complaint about it (on the contrary).
21
22 - foser