From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: package naming
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:43:46
1 Chris Gianelloni posted <1142881216.32640.14.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:00:15 -0500:
3
4 > I made a fork of hwdata for Gentoo's needs on the LiveCD and it is
5 > hwdata-gentoo (to match hwdata-knoppix and hwdata-morphix for their
6 > respective distributions). I think it makes more sense to keep the
7 > original package name first as it shows that it is a fork of that
8 > package.
9
10 Agreed if keeping the old name with a gentoo prefix/suffix is chosen.
11 However, nearly all Gentoo system tools are e<whatever> (not only portage
12 related either, as there's eselect), so I'd suggest eresolv.
13
14 Even if resolvconf-gentoo is chosen, I'd definitely recommend an eresolv
15 symlink, simply because doing so will allow it to be listed with
16 e<tab><tab>, if one forgets the name.
17
18 I recall back on Mandrake, reading the cooker discussion on their regret
19 at the naming convention they had chosen, <whatever>drake, for that very
21 system tools. Gentoo has it right with the e* precedent. I believe we
22 should continue to follow it.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
28 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list