From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Release Engineering <releng@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:59:42
1 On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Although, I must say, Jorge's is being little premature here, and I
5 >> doubt the Council will act rashly.
6 >
7 > So, while I was trying to be balanced in my reply, I'll admit it may
8 > have still been a bit too emotionally motivated.
9 >
10 > I think this was really the bit that I was reacting to. In general I
11 > do agree that it is best to let individual teams make the call before
12 > escalating to council.
13 >
14 > I just don't like attitudes along the lines of "I'll do what I think
15 > is best, and if you don't like it you can do it instead." It is true
16 > that we're all volunteers, and we all need to be mindful of that.
17 > However, if all Gentoo is to somebody is a place to host their
18 > sole-committer git repo, you could probably do better.
19
20 In this case I reacted more "emotionally" that I should have.
21 Using your expression above, please consider it as "releng is doing what
22 it thinks is best." As the team lead, I was also expressing that to see
23 something as "ordinary" as deciding if bc should be in stage3 sent to the
24 council to "decide", those pushing for that (and that critic wasn't
25 directed to the council members but those pushing this to council),
26 shouldn't be surprised if releng members get upset and decide to spend
27 their time elsewhere.
28
29 > I don't really think that was how Jorge felt, and I think we're all
30 > just venting, and my response probably wasn't more helpful than what I
31 > replied to, so apologies to all for the line noise.
32
33 Yes, I was venting. I got a bit upset to see something as simple and
34 ordinary still being discussed (I believe the last time I read about it
35 had been 2 weeks before).
36 To me, this isn't the first time that someone decides to discuss in the
37 dev ml about releng work, without even bothering to let releng know about
38 it.
39 I know that our policies state that technical issues should be raised in
40 the dev ml, although they also support doing the discussion in specialized
41 mls, but they also mention that one should make an effort to contact those
42 involved in the matter.
43
44 > For what its worth, this still isn't on the agenda (I'll probably send
45 > out the call later today). I also think that if anybody is feeling
46 > really frustrated over the content of stage3/@system and so on,
47 > they're probably best off directing that frustration towards getting
48 > something like mix-ins supported. :) Gentoo is about choice, but we
49 > can only offer the choices that our tools support.
50 >
51 > --
52 > Rich
53