From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:29:31
1 OK kids, settle down for a second and listen to your uncle Seemant.
2
3 First, enough with the insults being hurled around! We don't need
4 people being called slackers and dumb and stupid and whatever other
5 creative labels are being developed. That is absolutely and without a
6 doubt: non-productive. The better alternative might be to approach
7 people with a modicum of respect (swallow the bile).
8
9 Second, there's an obvious point of frustration here. The arch teams
10 due to being understaffed have a different set of priorities from the
11 security team and a different set of priorities from the maintainers.
12 And this is the correct way for these things to be.
13
14 Third, the best proposal I've seen here is for developers to get shell
15 accounts on alternate architectures. There's quite a few of them
16 floating around, and I'm pretty sure the arch teams will help you get a
17 shell on one of the boxes somewhere. Some of the arches even have shell
18 boxes for that purpose sitting at OSU or something. This would work for
19 at least the console applications (the visual stuff will be a little
20 trickier).
21
22 So, that said, I'm going to have to go with the standard advice that
23 Gentoo developers give Gentoo users: if you see a problem, help fix it!
24
25 Alternatively, there might be reason to have an einsecure() call in
26 pkg_setup() or something for deprecated versions.
27
28 But let me say again: stop acting disrespectfully of each other, or I'm
29 going to turn this car around and drive us back home, I'm not kidding!
30
31 And give me some of that popcorn.
34 Seemant Kulleen
35 Developer, Gentoo Linux