From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:10:48
1 On 28 July 2017 8:44:20 PM AEST, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 01:22:44 CEST schrieb Peter Stuge:
3 >>
4 >> I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
5 >>
6 >> I continue to feel that maintaining two worlds (stable+unstable)
7 >> carries with it an unneccessary cost.
10 >That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
11 >professional
12 >Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
13 >
14 >(Try keeping ~10 machines on stable running without automation. That's
15 >already
16 >quite some work. Now try the same with ~arch. Now imagine you're
17 >talking about
18 >100 or 1000 machines.)
19
20 And further, try proposing that to management - that you'll be managing hosts on a platform that has no "stable" to speak of.
21 --
22 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.