From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:59:56
1 On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 23:10:35 +1000
2 "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 28 July 2017 8:44:20 PM AEST, "Andreas K. Huettel"
5 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > >That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
8 > >professional
9 > >Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
10 > >
11 > >(Try keeping ~10 machines on stable running without automation.
12 > >That's already
13 > >quite some work. Now try the same with ~arch. Now imagine you're
14 > >talking about
15 > >100 or 1000 machines.)
16 >
17 > And further, try proposing that to management - that you'll be
18 > managing hosts on a platform that has no "stable" to speak of.
19
20 The professional/management argument is silly. Most avoid Gentoo.
21 Most companies, want to be able to pay for support. Not to mention
22 certifications and such for those they hire. None of which Gentoo has
23 regardless of stability. Not to mention reputation...
24
25 Those that tend to run Gentoo have their own interest in such. I have
26 seen many migrate from rather than to Gentoo. Large companies, who's
27 names we would all know. One of the few left is Meetup.com. They run
28 Gentoo as do some others. Seems Tivo does stuff with Gentoo, Google,
29 Sony, etc. Some tend to hire Gentoo devs...
32 William L. Thomson Jr.