From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 00:28:44
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 03:59:36PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 23:10:35 +1000
3 > "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 28 July 2017 8:44:20 PM AEST, "Andreas K. Huettel"
6 > > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > >That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
9 > > >professional
10 > > >Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
11 > > >
12 > > >(Try keeping ~10 machines on stable running without automation.
13 > > >That's already
14 > > >quite some work. Now try the same with ~arch. Now imagine you're
15 > > >talking about
16 > > >100 or 1000 machines.)
17 > >
18 > > And further, try proposing that to management - that you'll be
19 > > managing hosts on a platform that has no "stable" to speak of.
20 >
21 > The professional/management argument is silly. Most avoid Gentoo.
22 > Most companies, want to be able to pay for support. Not to mention
23 > certifications and such for those they hire. None of which Gentoo has
24 > regardless of stability. Not to mention reputation...
25 >
26 > Those that tend to run Gentoo have their own interest in such. I have
27 > seen many migrate from rather than to Gentoo. Large companies, who's
28 > names we would all know. One of the few left is Meetup.com. They run
29 > Gentoo as do some others. Seems Tivo does stuff with Gentoo, Google,
30 > Sony, etc. Some tend to hire Gentoo devs...
31
32 Wouldn't it make more sense to make Gentoo *more* attractive to run in
33 corporate environments, rather than simply saying "We're not RHEL so why
34 bother"?
35
36 People do use Gentoo in production environments, both personally and
37 professionally, even if it is those that have more investment in doing
38 so than the average IT Joe. By removing stable, we would be reducing the
39 potential arguments for the few who do want to use Gentoo in that sort
40 of environment. We would be becoming more of a niche distro.
41
42 "Hey, lets try Gentoo - it's really configurable."
43 "What's their stable policy? How often does it break?"
44 "Stable? What's that?"
47 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
48 GnuPG Key: D6180C26