From: Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: using Ninja in more CMake-based packages
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 12:47:19
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2015-06-08, o godz. 12:46:42
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 > > On 06/07/2015 05:08 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > Hello, developers.
7 > > >
8 > > [...]
9 > >
10 > > It's not clear to me how the transition should look like.
11 > >
12 > > Are you suggesting Ninja to be the new default or do you want to switch
13 > > per-packages after having tested them?
14 > >
15 > > If the former, then we need a tinderbox-run.
16 >
17 > The latter. We don't have the resources to do the former properly,
18 > and the number of packages relying on GNU make is too large. Some
19 > ebuilds will also need more extensive changes.
20
21 You have your userbase ;)
22 In order to reach as many as possible you could create a news item. Or a
23 mailing list post. Ask them on planet.gentoo.org ;) Tell them how good ninja
24 performs :)
25 Ask them to set the generator to ninja in their make.conf to test if their
26 packages still compile. They create bugs for failing packages and you can
27 easily hard code good old emake in the specific packages.
28 As default there probably should always be emake. IMHO a working build system
29 always is better than a fast but potentially broken one :)
32 > --
33 > Best regards,
34 > Michał Górny