From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The usefulness of test in FEATURES
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:30:04
1 Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2
3 >Hey people,
4 >
5 >A lot of ebuilds still fail when "test" is in FEATURES.
6 >
7 >It's understandable that fixing this is a low priority thing, but what
8 >I would like to propose is to either fix the tests or disable them.
9 >The latter would be the thing to do for devs who are currently closing
10 >bugs about tests with WONTFIX or similar.
11 >
12 >By keeping tests that fail enabled in one ebuild, perfectly good tests
13 >of any other ebuild are rendered useless because it becomes almost
14 >impossible to upgrade a system with "test" in FEATURES.
15 >
16 >If fixing the tests is not WONTFIX but rather something way down on your
17 >todo list, I would also recommend disabling the tests in the ebuild.
18 >A bug report could be used to track these bugs, but at least it would
19 >not bother so many people while it is still unsolved.
20 >
21 >I'd like to know what you think of this.
22 >
23 >Thanks,
24 >Maurice.
28 Hi,
29 Some time ago used 'maketest' (now 'test') in my FEATURES-list, but
30 after some test-failing packages (not many and BUGS filed on them)
31 switched it off, as IMHO fixing 'tests' seems to be a task more up to
32 package-developers (so gentoo-maintainers send it upstream for fixing).
33 Think (tell your experiences here) that the responses may be very
34 different (depending on the people). The package usually works OK, so a
35 test-failing may be due to for example some USE-flags, CFLAGS (using
36 hardened profile in my former case) or other causes (WONTFIX from upstream).
37 If the number of fixed packages is too small or it takes too long to fix
38 it's not very useful feature, i just don't know.
39 Just sharing my experiences here.
40 PS: a day or two ago mentioned that i'm using per-package FEATURES in
41 '/etc/portage/package.features-file' ("-collision-protect") so was
42 thinking about doing the same for "test" (for half a day "test" is ON in
43 my 'make.conf'). Think of putting it OFF for failing packages while
44 still keeping it ON globally. Also will like the get some opinions.
45 Rumen
46 --
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list