From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:37:03
1 On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 21:10, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > Graphical browsers are much more preferable to things like lynx (which doesn't
3 > even handle tables properly, IIRC). Is 4.4 MB really too much for a nice
4 > graphical browser? The docs could probably even get away with saying to use
5 > the Setup->Network options menu item if a proxy is needed.
6
7 I believe it *is* too much. In fact, our "basic" install CD should be
8 as basic as possible. The instructions should be as basic as possible.
9 Why are we using links rather than lynx? Why *is* perl on the install
10 CD? Why do we have vim versus a smaller vim clone?
11
12 I can understand why many people want extra tools on the Live CD, but a
13 "basic" CD should be exactly that. I just did a 1.4 GRP install
14 yesterday, since I am going to be presenting it at the local LUG next
15 month. One of the things that bothered me was the fact that I have vim
16 before chroot, but not after. Why is vim even on there if it cannot be
17 used the entire time? I see no point in having two tools that do the
18 same job on the CD, especially when only one is useful during the entire
19 process.
20
21 I would love to see a Live CD that fits on a 64MB pen drive much more
22 than knowing I can use vim. We could always make a "fat" Live CD which
23 has more tools for people who want them.
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Developer, Gentoo Linux