From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:11:35
1 Benda,
2
3 while I won't have the time to contribute much, I would like to tell you that
4 this is definitely a very cool and worthwhile project! I think you should make
5 a project page and sign yourself up as team lead immediately... :)
6
7 Chris Reffett from KDE team has done already a lot of work on packaging Plasma
8 Active, see http://plasma-active.org/ - it's in the KDE overlay but mostly
9 untested so far. You might be interested!
10
11 Best,
12 Andreas
13
14 > Dear Fellows,
15 >
16 > Canonical is raising money by pushing their concept of Ubuntu for
17 > Android[1][2]. The idea is to put GNU environment (esp. Ubuntu userland)
18 > in parallel to Android to drive the external HDMI output with X11
19 > protocal, so that desktop applications can run on the smartphone.
20 >
21 > The idea is cool, but not new. The idea is general to all android
22 > devices, while Canonical is binding the concept with its own new device.
23 >
24 > The project is developed underground by Canonical, so far nothing, not
25 > to say repository, is available except advertisements and the call for
26 > people to donate.
27 >
28 > As a natual consequence of the on-going Google Summer of Code project,
29 > Gentoo on Android[3], we can run native Gentoo on *all* the Android
30 > devices. Compiling out an Xorg and output to HDMI has no theoretical
31 > difficulty. Furthermore, sharing of graphic output with Android (instead
32 > of a separate HDMI output) can be explored with wayland x11[4].
33 >
34 > I feel sorry to the behavior of Canonical. We, people from the Gentoo
35 > community, can show the general public what is the cooperative way to
36 > develop desktop/smartphone hybrid to benefit all.
37 >
38 > I would like to kick out a sub-project of Gentoo targeting smartphone
39 > and tablets. It would be nice to find out a solution based on Gentoo for
40 > desktop/smartphone hybrid *before* Canonical's release.
41 >
42 > Comments welcome.
43 >
44 > Cheers,