From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild bumping policy wrt KEYWORDS
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:20:59
1 On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:49:47 -0500
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I also would hesitate to auto-~arch fairly critical packages, such as X
5 > or anything in system.
6
7 For larger || more troublesome || tool-chain type packages, we've
8 historically worked with the package maintainers in keywording new
9 versions to help with this. In cases like this that is
10 acceptable/agreeable. This might be a fine print item for that portion of
11 the handbook.
12
13 Personally, I would rather run into a package breaking in a revbump than
14 have it be missing keywords and not notified that it was behind. While yes
15 this stinks from a QA perspective, it also gets the problem addressed and
16 resolved quicker (usually) than running into it later on down the road.
17 It's also a lot easier wrt the overhead the package maintainers, arch
18 maintainers and infrastructure maintainers have to go through to
19 accomidate extra emails, bugs, etc if test requests had to be issued each
20 time a package got rev or version bumped in the portage tree.
21
22 Granted that's just my preference, but I've got my flame retardant
23 underoos on so fire away ;)
27 Jason Wever
28 Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead