From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Access to DRM render nodes from portage sandbox?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 19:32:08
1 On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 07:54:16PM +0100, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 09/05/18 19:50, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 9 May 2018 18:12:32 +0100
4 > > "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>> It's worth noting that the default rules shipped with udev assign mode
8 > >>> 0666 to the /dev/dri/renderD* device nodes. So, outside of a sanbox
9 > >>> environment, any user may access these devices.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> This was merged as part of this PR: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/7112
12 > >>>
13 > >> How does that pan out for other init systems?
14 > > udev
15 > >
16 > > Which practically everyone uses regardless of init system. Even openrc users.
17 > >
18 > > Upstream, udev is part of systemd now.
19 > ^ That is relatively common knowledge .. my question was more steered
20 > towards whether Eudev is carrying this feature through as well (which
21 > likely as they might ... ) I believe eudev was voted to become the
22 > default implementation for Gentoo, to complement openRC as it was
23 > becoming impossible to maintain udev-standalone separate from systemd.
24
25 Well, it is not impossible to maintain udev standalone, we are still
26 doing it just fine, so if that is the reason eudev was made the default,
27 we need to revisit that. Not in this thread, however.
28
29 William