From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:50:39
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, MIkey wrote:
5
6 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
7 >
8 >> I misinterpreted what you wrote. I thought you meant "physically included
9 >> in the package," not "installed from a binary package." I just completely
10 >> read what looks like a reasonable request and turned it into nonsense
11 >> without thinking about it, I guess.
12 >
13 > I am not so sure you misinterpreted me, because when I specify -doc and
14 > emerge -B a package, I don't want docs installed OR in the binary package
15 > that is generated. I want the behavior of USE flags to be consistent. If
16 > I set -ssl and generate a binary package for apache2, the packaged up
17 > libraries should not link with ssl libraries. The same should apply with
18 > -doc.
21 That happens now, I believe. The following should all install the same
22 thing:
23 USE='-doc' emerge blah
24 USE='-doc' emerge -b blah
25 USE='-doc' emerge -B blah ; emerge -k blah
26 USE='-doc' emerge blah; quickpkg blah; emerge -C blah; emerge -k blah
27 Assuming all dependencies are satisfied.
28 (The binary package is built from the image which is going to be
29 installed and carries the USE flags with it. If the docs aren't there,
30 they're not there. Or at least, the binary package carries the '-doc'
31 use flag along with it so the docs won't be installed.)
32
33 What won't install the same is this sequence:
34 USE='doc' emerge -B blah
35 USE='-doc' emerge -k blah
36 'emerge -k' uses the USE flags the package was built with.
37
38 Example: Back to ciaranm's original proposal. If I
39 USE='-doc' emerge -B xorg-x11
40 I am never going to be able to decide I wanted USE='doc' after all and
41 pull the docs from the binary package. Documentation for xorg-x11 is in a
42 separate source file, and with USE='-doc', that file is never even
43 fetched. So,
44 USE='doc' emerge -k xorg-x11
45 cannot install docs. Concrete example (from a live system):
46 emerge -pkv rubygems
47 [binary R ] dev-ruby/rubygems-0.8.11 USE="-examples"
48 USE='examples' emerge -pkv rubygems
49 [binary R ] dev-ruby/rubygems-0.8.11 USE="-examples"
50
51 Or am I still missing something?
52
53 > What I would really like is the same capability with info and man pages.
54 > Currently the only way to exclude them is use the unsupported, undocumented
55 > FEATURES="noman noinfo" hack, which if I am not mistaken does not remove
56 > them from binary packages.
57 >
58 > Try a du -ksh /usr/share/doc /usr/share/man /usr/share/info and you might
59 > get an idea of why the feature might be desirable:
60 >
61 > 132M /usr/share/doc
62 > 5.7M /usr/share/info
63 > 56M /usr/share/man
64 >
65 > Most of those are compressed, which means they take even _more_ space in a
66 > binary package. It adds up.
69 Regards,
70 Ferris
71 - --
72 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
73 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)
81 --
82 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list