From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:19:07
1 On 2006-03-04 20:47, Ferris McCormick uttered these thoughts:
2 > On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, MIkey wrote:
3 >
4 > > Ferris McCormick wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> I misinterpreted what you wrote. I thought you meant "physically included
7 > >> in the package," not "installed from a binary package." I just completely
8 > >> read what looks like a reasonable request and turned it into nonsense
9 > >> without thinking about it, I guess.
10 > >
11 > > I am not so sure you misinterpreted me, because when I specify -doc and
12 > > emerge -B a package, I don't want docs installed OR in the binary package
13 > > that is generated. I want the behavior of USE flags to be consistent. If
14 > > I set -ssl and generate a binary package for apache2, the packaged up
15 > > libraries should not link with ssl libraries. The same should apply with
16 > > -doc.
19 > That happens now, I believe. The following should all install the same
20 > thing:
21 > USE='-doc' emerge blah
22 > USE='-doc' emerge -b blah
23 > USE='-doc' emerge -B blah ; emerge -k blah
24 > USE='-doc' emerge blah; quickpkg blah; emerge -C blah; emerge -k blah
25 > Assuming all dependencies are satisfied.
26 > (The binary package is built from the image which is going to be
27 > installed and carries the USE flags with it. If the docs aren't there,
28 > they're not there. Or at least, the binary package carries the '-doc'
29 > use flag along with it so the docs won't be installed.)
30
31 It seems that INSTALL_MASK works only at merge time, so that if you
32 build a package at one machine (with INSTALL_MASK set to f.ex.
33 /usr/share/doc) and install it on the same machine, you get the expected
34 behaviour. But the INSTALL_MASK:ed directories and their contents are
35 still present in the binary package since they're not filtered out until
36 the merge-step. So if you then want to merge this package on a different
37 machine, and forget to set INSTALL_MASK you still get everything
38 originally present under /usr/share/doc installed.
39
40 One might argue that INSTALL_MASK should apply for
41 binary-package-building also, but so is not the case at the moment.
44 Regards,
45 Patrick Börjesson
48 / () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email
49 \ /\ and proprietary formats.