From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:48:48
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2
3 > I misinterpreted what you wrote. I thought you meant "physically included
4 > in the package," not "installed from a binary package." I just completely
5 > read what looks like a reasonable request and turned it into nonsense
6 > without thinking about it, I guess.
7
8 I am not so sure you misinterpreted me, because when I specify -doc and
9 emerge -B a package, I don't want docs installed OR in the binary package
10 that is generated. I want the behavior of USE flags to be consistent. If
11 I set -ssl and generate a binary package for apache2, the packaged up
12 libraries should not link with ssl libraries. The same should apply with
13 -doc.
14
15 What I would really like is the same capability with info and man pages.
16 Currently the only way to exclude them is use the unsupported, undocumented
17 FEATURES="noman noinfo" hack, which if I am not mistaken does not remove
18 them from binary packages.
19
20 Try a du -ksh /usr/share/doc /usr/share/man /usr/share/info and you might
21 get an idea of why the feature might be desirable:
22
23 132M /usr/share/doc
24 5.7M /usr/share/info
25 56M /usr/share/man
26
27 Most of those are compressed, which means they take even _more_ space in a
28 binary package. It adds up.
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list