From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:57:12
1 On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:46 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2 > If we can move away from some of our devfs-like names, we stand to
3 > reclaim a lot of memory from everyone's machines. As an example, if we
4 > drop all of the tty/pts/vc/vcc symlinks, and just go with the default
5 > kernel name, we save 2.5Mb of space in tempfs/ramfs. I've done this on
6 > my machines and everything seems to work just fine (it looks like
7 > everything that was trying to use a tty node was just using the symlink
8 > anyway.)
9 >
10 > So, anyone have any objections to me changing the default udev naming
11 > scheme in this manner?
12
13 No objections here. I've been waiting fort his move for a little while
14 now. The only real problems will be with those 2.4 (devfs) users who
15 refuse to move, maybe this is good enough incentive.