From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 23:34:50
1 On Tue, 1 May 2007 15:08:56 +0200
2 Piotr Jaroszyński <peper@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > There was some discussion about forcing/not forcing tests in EAPI-1,
7 > but there was clearly no compromise. Imho, tests are very important
8 > and thus I want to discuss them a little more, but in more sensible
9 > fashion.
10 >
11 > Firstly each test can be(not all categories are mutually exclusive):
12 > - not existant
13 > - non-functional
14 > - not runnable from ebuild
15 > - useful but unreasonable resource-wise
16 > - useful and reasonable resource-wise
17 > - necessary
18 > - known to partially fail but with a way of skipping failing tests
19 > - known to partially fail but with no easy way of skipping failing
20 > tests Is that list comprehensive?
21
22 I'd approach it a bit different: Before creating fixed classification
23 groups I'd first identify the attributes of tests that should be used
24 for those classifications.
25 a) cost (in terms of runtime, resource usage, additional deps)
26 b) effectiveness (does a failing/working test mean the package is
27 broken/working?)
28 c) importance (is there a realistic chance for the test to be useful?)
29 d) correctness (does the test match the implementation? overlaps a bit
30 with effectiveness)
31 e) others?
32
33 Each of these needs to be considered if we want to find a good
34 compromise of which tests to run and which not. A test with high cost
35 can still be worth running if effectiveness, correctness and importance
36 are also high, on the other hand a test with little effectiveness,
37 correctness and/or importance probably isn't worth running even with
38 zero cost.
39 Now the tricky question is how to actually measure those attributes.
40
41 > Secondly we must answer the question how precisely we want to
42 > distinguish them, so users/dev can choose which categories of tests
43 > they want to run. What comes to mind is:
44 > - run all tests
45 > - run only necessary tests
46 > - run only reasonable tests
47 > - don't run tests at all
48 > Again, is that list comprehensive?
49
50 Problem is that terms like "reasonable" or "necessary" are quite
51 subjective (regarding both humans and machines), and in this special
52 context even "all" could be interpreted in different ways (btw, could
53 someone give some real examples for packages with "necessary" tests?).
54
55 So I think a more fine grained classification is needed that can be
56 adopted for specific use cases (e.g. the mips+embedded profiles might
57 want different defaults than the amd64+desktop profiles).
58
59 Marius
64 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
65 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.