From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 23:50:25
1 On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 01:32 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > I'd approach it a bit different: Before creating fixed classification
5 > groups I'd first identify the attributes of tests that should be used
6 > for those classifications.
7 > a) cost (in terms of runtime, resource usage, additional deps)
8 > b) effectiveness (does a failing/working test mean the package is
9 > broken/working?)
10 > c) importance (is there a realistic chance for the test to be useful?)
11 > d) correctness (does the test match the implementation? overlaps a bit
12 > with effectiveness)
13 > e) others?
14
15 There is one serious problem with this: Who's going to do the work to
16 figure all this out for the 11,000 odd packages in the tree? This seems
17 like a *huge* amount of work, work that I have no plan on doing for the
18 100-odd packages I (help) maintain, let alone the 4-10 different
19 versions of each package. I highly doubt other maintainers want to do
20 this kind of work either.
21
22 Daniel
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list