From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 06:07:44
1 Dnia 2015-03-14, o godz. 22:25:56
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > This is a mostly inconsequential issue, but the Git migration provides
5 > us a chance to make a clean break...
6 >
7 > The repository of our ebuilds and the name of the CVS module have been
8 > called gentoo-x86 since the start of Gentoo, because it originally was
9 > only for x86. Here's the very first ebuild added to CVS [1], Portage
10 > v1.1 is also early on [2].
11 >
12 > On the rsync side, it was originally called gentoo-x86-portage, and then
13 > between the 1.2 and 1.4 release (early 2003), the stages switched to
14 > using the name 'gentoo-portage'; as recently as 2010, various mirrors
15 > were STILL fetching from the name of gentoo-x86-portage, when we
16 > reminded them that they should have switched years ago.
17 >
18 > All of these names have caused some confusion. Trying to explain to a
19 > new user that the Portage tree refers to the collection of ebuilds used
20 > by a PMS-compliant package manager (eg Portage) is problematic.
21 >
22 > To that end, I'd like us to brainstorm names for the new
23 > bikeshed^R^R^R^R^R^R^R^R
24 > repository, to go live at the time of the Git migration.
25 >
26 > It will be the single tree that contains what you find today in the
27 > gentoo-x86 CVS module; and on rsync as gentoo-x86-portage and
28 > gentoo-portage.
29 >
30 > Ideally, it should be something that works as a relatively unique
31 > identifier (Portage is bad as it refers to both the package manager and
32 > the tree), and fits easily into discussions, both in-person and online.
33 >
34 > Questions:
35 > 0. What names for the tree/repository.
36 > 1. We have some namespaces in Git: proj, dev, priv, data, sites, exp; should
37 > the tree be in one of those namespaces, a new namespace, or be without
38 > a namespace? git://anongit.gentoo.org/NEW-NAME.git.
39
40 The name simply must be 'gentoo'. If you think it's easy to change
41 repo_name, think again. That name is hardcoded in a lot of random
42 places (like Portage configuration, databases), and it is used by some
43 external tools as a replacement of deprecated PORTDIR. Not to mention
44 all overlays.
45
46 Instead of trying to emphasize it's the main repository, we ought to
47 drop the notion of 'main repository'. That was the goal of all changes
48 in Portage, so stop trying to regress for the sake of good ol' times.
49
50 As for the namespace, proj/ makes most sense of the current namespaces.
51 If we want a separate repo/ namespace, we would probably need to
52 consider moving other repositories there -- at least the official ones.
53 Of course, it would be a nice result, having everything hosted
54 on git.g.o as git.g.o/repo/${repo_name}.git.
55 --
56 Best regards,
57 Michał Górny