From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-3.1 stable
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 13:34:39
1 On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:07:16 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 2 April 2013 13:48, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Alexis Ballier
6 > > <aballier@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> but what's the problem with keeping it and not breaking older
8 > >> upgrade paths?
9 > >>
10 > >
11 > > This whole discussion seems a bit academic. Somebody pointed out
12 > > that we have a version of bash we might not need any longer. If by
13 > > some miracle the bash maintainers weren't already aware of it, they
14 > > are now. If they want to keep it around for some reason, who cares?
15 > >
16 > > There is enough bikeshedding when it comes to treecleaning the
17 > > packages that aren't being maintained. I don't think we need to
18 > > debate the merits of the packages that are.
19 > >
20 > > Rich
23 > I couldn't agree more. It is getting really annoying having to debate
24 > package removals every other day.
25
26 Please take your time to read again. There is no bikeshedding nor
27 debate in:
28 - X is not needed anymore because of reasons R
29 - maybe it's needed for case Y
30 - case Y is not supported
31 - it doesn't hurt to support it
32
33 I am very well aware that 'case Y' may not even be possible because of
34 tons of other problems and was only pointing out that 'reasons R' were
35 incomplete.
36
37 It is getting really annoying to have non-technical comments pop in
38 purely technical discussions ;)
39
40 Alexis.