From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-3.1 stable
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:01:55
1 On 2 April 2013 14:34, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:07:16 +0100
3 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 2 April 2013 13:48, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Alexis Ballier
7 >> > <aballier@g.o> wrote:
8 >> >> but what's the problem with keeping it and not breaking older
9 >> >> upgrade paths?
10 >> >>
11 >> >
12 >> > This whole discussion seems a bit academic. Somebody pointed out
13 >> > that we have a version of bash we might not need any longer. If by
14 >> > some miracle the bash maintainers weren't already aware of it, they
15 >> > are now. If they want to keep it around for some reason, who cares?
16 >> >
17 >> > There is enough bikeshedding when it comes to treecleaning the
18 >> > packages that aren't being maintained. I don't think we need to
19 >> > debate the merits of the packages that are.
20 >> >
21 >> > Rich
22 >> >
23 >>
24 >> I couldn't agree more. It is getting really annoying having to debate
25 >> package removals every other day.
26 >
27 > Please take your time to read again. There is no bikeshedding nor
28 > debate in:
29 > - X is not needed anymore because of reasons R
30 > - maybe it's needed for case Y
31 > - case Y is not supported
32 > - it doesn't hurt to support it
33 >
34 > I am very well aware that 'case Y' may not even be possible because of
35 > tons of other problems and was only pointing out that 'reasons R' were
36 > incomplete.
37 >
38 > It is getting really annoying to have non-technical comments pop in
39 > purely technical discussions ;)
40 >
41 > Alexis.
44 Here we go again. Fine, keep arguing about the really important
45 question "why old X is in the tree when new X is stable".
46 Did anyone actually consider to ask the maintainers instead of opening
47 a public debate on this? I guess no, because
48 bikeshedding in the mailing list is so much better.
51 Regards,
52 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
53 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang