From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 23:32:44
1 On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 2:34 PM Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Mar 9, 2022, at 15:47 CST, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > [...]
6 > >
7 > > I wouldn't block anyone from doing this, but it's not something I'm
8 > > personally interested in pursuing. I see very little value here.
9 >
10 > I did not intend to imply that you should do anything.
11 >
12 > I just want to point out that we had been educating developers for using
13 > "repoman" to commit for a long time and looking at the "git log" history
14 > shows that repoman is still used by a sizable number of developers
15 > (around 50%-ish).
16
17 I think you just made that number up :)
18
19 > So, it would be very nice to have a somewhat official "blessed"
20 > alternative in place.
23 > For example, dev-util/pkgdev was suggested as an alternative, but I
24 > cannot assess whether this is indeed a viable alternative.
25
26 Why not? Give it a try.