From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:55:59
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:48:25PM +0200, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote: > > > All, > > > > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the > > category media-radio. > > > > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to > > propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the > > amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in > > media-radio which are not amateur radio related. > > > I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore I am > a little bit biased :). I was always confused to find them in > media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.
I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the ham radio apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of the media.
> But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related packages in > other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse trainer, > app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So maybe a general > cleanup would be good. > > A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio and 2 > others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise there are 11 > amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That means a move to > app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.
I would say that if the sunrise packages eventually get moved into portage, they should go in app-hamradio instead of media-radio, then maybe we could move the other ham radio packages over there, but then what would be the best choice for whatever is left in media-radio? William