From: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, devrel@g.o, recruiters@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Disenchantment
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 05:09:57
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 It is with great joy that i report i finally cut myself loose from
5 something that i once loved to do and spend my time on, but since have
6 grown more and more disenchanted with.
7 I don't mind spending my time in front of the screen for hours on end if
8 it seems fruitfull to do so, however i am not able to seperate between
9 the good things that i like, the good people that i like and those
10 things i no longer can tolerate and the way people interact, yeah i
11 know, the big bad dev has left the herd, and people have chosen not to
12 interact negatively since, that doesn't mean gentoo is doing all that
13 great, if people think we should call teams teams and not herds, and
14 everyone agrees it is not a huge difference then why oppose it so hard?
15 If threads intended to make us think on how we can be more open to the
16 community get diverted into technical bickering over which VCS we should
17 get we have lost one important thing out of sight, gentoo is a distro by
18 users for users, and the users i think are left out of the loop on this
19 whole situation (more power to you userrel guys, please prove me wrong),
20 why would we want to be more open and inviting if being a badass who
21 passed some generic quiz is so much more fun. If everyone would step
22 down from the pedestal for a while and looked around, then maybe, just
23 maybe we would realize that we no longer do things to be there for them
24 (the users) but for ourselves, anything is geared towards improving our
25 leetness level, why do things have to be so complicated that people
26 think one can not work on ebuilds w/o some super hard special quiz or
27 two, it all gears towards "what you don't know how to use XYZ, you must
28 not be very smart/leet/cool."
29 working on making things easier seems to not fit into people's ideals of
30 how this distribution should operate.
31 I will not spend my time on something where i met nice people who taught
32 me a whole lot if the sole reason would be that i feel i owe them
33 something. That would cause me to be unmotivated and drag my feet on
34 stuff like the bloke next to me, and i no longer want to linger around
35 like that. It just isn't fair to gentoo (the people i care about
36 within), the users or me. I better stop being what i never liked about
37 gentoo.
38
39 So it is with great joy i can scream on the top of my lungs:
40
41 EJECT EJECT EJECT!
42
43 For devrel/recruiters: sorry i always confuse your roles, whoever
44 actually does that, please remove my accounts and all that good stuff,
45 for gentoo-dev change the email back to dgoller@×××××××.com,
46 kthxbye</chriswhitestyle>
47
48 Yours truly,
49
50 Daniel
51
52 P.S. If you like source based, you like choice, and you especially do
53 not expect gentoo2 try www.sourcemage.org for your next install.
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list