From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:19:38
1 On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 21:13 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:48:04 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
3 > <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > | My recommendation, as Release Engineering Strategic Lead, is that no
5 > | profiles be added to the tree, nor any modifications be made to any
6 > | current profile, including base or the profiles directory, until such
7 > | time that Paludis is actually a usable package manager for building a
8 > | Gentoo release. I also recommend that the package is masked in all
9 > | Gentoo profiles where a release is built against, since again, it is
10 > | 100% incompatible and upstream has now said that they have no
11 > | intentions on making it compatible. As I see it, the original
12 > | question posed to this list is now a non-issue. It will *never* be
13 > | portage compatible enough, according to the lead developer, to ever
14 > | be usable as a portage replacement or alternative.
15 >
16 > So what you're saying is that until Paludis is called Portage and is
17 > identical to Portage, it's a no go. Which is clearly crazy talk, since
18 > Paludis can already be used to install a system from scratch -- it just
19 > does so differently.
20
21 See, this is why people have problems having a discussion with you. You
22 inject your own ideas and thoughts into their words and beat around the
23 bush so much that it is impossible to tell what the hell you're actually
24 trying to say. Never once did I say that it must be called portage.
25 Never once did I say that it must support all of the features of
26 portage. That is *you* saying that I said something that I have not.
27 It is you flat out lying. Quite simply, I'm not surprised.
28
29 Here's what I am trying to say plainly.
30
31 Paludis does not conform to the Release Engineering guidelines. It is
32 *incapable* of producing a Gentoo release. The authors have expressed
33 their intentions to *never* perform any actions necessary to work
34 towards making Paludis capable of producing a Gentoo release.
35
36 This is completely unacceptable to Release Engineering, and as such, it
37 is my recommendation that no support be added to the *portage* tree to
38 support paludis.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
43 x86 Architecture Team