From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:19:30
1 On Wed, 17 May 2006 15:48:04 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | My recommendation, as Release Engineering Strategic Lead, is that no
4 | profiles be added to the tree, nor any modifications be made to any
5 | current profile, including base or the profiles directory, until such
6 | time that Paludis is actually a usable package manager for building a
7 | Gentoo release. I also recommend that the package is masked in all
8 | Gentoo profiles where a release is built against, since again, it is
9 | 100% incompatible and upstream has now said that they have no
10 | intentions on making it compatible. As I see it, the original
11 | question posed to this list is now a non-issue. It will *never* be
12 | portage compatible enough, according to the lead developer, to ever
13 | be usable as a portage replacement or alternative.
14
15 So what you're saying is that until Paludis is called Portage and is
16 identical to Portage, it's a no go. Which is clearly crazy talk, since
17 Paludis can already be used to install a system from scratch -- it just
18 does so differently.
21 Ciaran McCreesh
22 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list