From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:09:08
1 On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 19:50 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | #1. Can paludis work with catalyst?
3 >
4 > No. Nor will it ever, nor will it need to.
5
6 To be used for building a Gentoo release, yes it will.
9 > | #2. Can paludis build all of the release materials required by the
10 > | Release Engineering release guidelines?
11 >
12 > No. Nor will it ever, nor will it need to.
13
14 To be used for building a Gentoo release, yes it will.
17 > | #3. Can paludis build a portage-compatible VDB that can be used by the
18 > | Gentoo Linux Installer?
19 >
20 > No. Nor will it ever, nor will it need to.
21
22 To be used for building a Gentoo release, yes it will.
23
24 > Your claim, specifically, was "It *is* essential if paludis were to
25 > ever be used for release building.". There is more than one way to skin
26 > a cat, and some of those ways don't involve getting blood all over the
27 > floor.
28
29 Sure, there's more than one way to build a release. However, there's
30 only *one* way to build an official Gentoo release. It sounds like
31 Paludis falls short on this 100%.
32
33 My recommendation, as Release Engineering Strategic Lead, is that no
34 profiles be added to the tree, nor any modifications be made to any
35 current profile, including base or the profiles directory, until such
36 time that Paludis is actually a usable package manager for building a
37 Gentoo release. I also recommend that the package is masked in all
38 Gentoo profiles where a release is built against, since again, it is
39 100% incompatible and upstream has now said that they have no intentions
40 on making it compatible. As I see it, the original question posed to
41 this list is now a non-issue. It will *never* be portage compatible
42 enough, according to the lead developer, to ever be usable as a portage
43 replacement or alternative.
46 Chris Gianelloni
47 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
48 x86 Architecture Team