From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sunrise, a temporary compromise
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:16:56
1 All-
2
3 We've had a discussion about sunrise and have reached a compromise.
4 Someone will summarize it later, I've attached the raw logs for now.
5 Until the council makes a firm decision about non-gentoo hosted
6 overlays, this will be the defining method of dealing with them.
7
8 There will be a summary posted as soon as someone finds the time.
9
10 =====log======
11 * tomk (n=tomk@gentoo/developer/pdpc.active.tomk) has joined #gentoo-devrel
12 Kugelfang sure
13 KingTaco ok
14 KingTaco so, regarding bugs
15 KingTaco Inoverlay is ambigous
16 KingTaco so, I'll state that at this point it shouldn't be used for sunrise
17 brix it should be used for official overlays
18 Kugelfang true
19 KingTaco [sunrise-overlay], not being an "official" overlay yet,
20 shouldn't be in the bug either
21 KingTaco I thought we were going to be quiet for a minute
22 brix sorry
23 * tantive__ (n=tantive@gentoo/developer/tantive) has joined #gentoo-devrel
24 KingTaco however, when there is a bug in bugzilla where the ebuild is
25 hosted on sunrise stuff, it is appropriste to put a link to the source
26 KingTaco everyone agree?
27 plasmaroo Changes should go both ways IMO
28 genstef so changing URL is valid or not?
29 brix KingTaco: what about the TLP page?
30 KingTaco it removes any perceived legitimization while still privindg
31 the link to the stuff
32 KingTaco brix, I'm going to get to that
33 plasmaroo Link should go into comments, not URL
34 brix ok
35 KingTaco plasmaroo, yes, if I didn't explicitly say that, yes
36 genstef Kugelfang: changing URL is valid or not?
37 KingTaco genstef, you following me?
38 genstef KingTaco: changing URL is valid or not?
39 plasmaroo genstef: We just said no, pay attention.
40 KingTaco the URL field should link to the sources, not the ebuild
41 genstef ok
42 KingTaco or the upstream project page
43 plasmaroo (Meaning, *not sunrise*)
44 amne what about updating outdated information as in bug 136344? if they
45 link to it they should take care it's not broken (imho)
46 jeeves amne: http://bugs.gentoo.org/136344 enh, P2, All,
47 d@×××××.org->maintainer-wanted@g.o, NEW, pending,
48 x11-themes/gtk-engines-rezlooks ebuild
49 KingTaco ok, regarding the proj/ page
50 KingTaco amne, shhhhh
51 plasmaroo amne: Hang on a few.
52 amne (sorry)
53 KingTaco now, I don't see a reason to remove that content, if there is a
54 good possibility that the project will be moved to an "official" gentoo
55 overlay status
56 KingTaco however, it should be noted that the project is suspended
57 KingTaco it should be obvious
58 KingTaco that said, there is a continueing effort for sunrise outside of
59 gentoo and I feel it would be a disservice to those users who want to
60 use the overlay not to be able to find it
61 plasmaroo A suggestion from me: change gentoo-sunrise trac and add a
62 fat-ass "this is not official, trademark property of Gentoo, bla bla
63 bla, we are not associated, bla bla bla"
64 * trick_ (n=trick@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com) has joined
65 #gentoo-devrel
66 KingTaco so, while it is suspended, there shall be a link to the
67 unofficial page
68 plasmaroo Right now you're using the Gentoo trademark and not saying that.
69 KingTaco plasmaroo, shhhh
70 brix KingTaco: but linking to the unofficial, unsuspended overlay
71 defeats the whole idea of having suspended the overlay in the first place
72 KingTaco we're getting to that
73 plasmaroo brix: Yeah, but we can't really restrict devs from free speech
74 or whatever
75 plasmaroo It's the association that counts, not the fact of existance.
76 brix plasmaroo: we can, however, restrict links from our official TLP pages
77 plasmaroo I guess.
78 KingTaco brix, there isn't any reason to prohibit linking to external
79 sites. however, there is a compromise here
80 plasmaroo The issue is association rather than linking outright.
81 plasmaroo Right: We are suspended, see gentoo-sunrise.org for more
82 details. Right now Gentoo does not support this period. Wrong: Our
83 project website is here: ...
84 KingTaco in able to link to the sunrise server, it should be prominantly
85 displayed on all sunrise pages that it is unofficial and that bugs
86 should not go to gentoo bugzilla
87 KingTaco plasmaroo, while intrupting me, is correct
88 KingTaco now, everyone speak
89 plasmaroo genstef: So, can you change the sunrise pages?
90 KingTaco unless I hear some valid objections to what I say, this is how
91 it's going to be until the council makes a firm decision
92 brix KingTaco: ok
93 genstef Note: We are suspended on gentoo but the project continues
94 unofficially on gentoo-sunrise.org
95 plasmaroo That sounds sane to me as well, I second that.
96 brix KingTaco: works-for-me
97 genstef ok?
98 KingTaco genstef, that sounds fine
99 amne KingTaco: what i wanted to say before, considering linking to
100 sunrise is OK, they should take care to update their links in bugzilla
101 then too (see 136344, it points to the suspended overlay, which is the
102 worst case scenario)
103 plasmaroo Please add "Any bugs must not go to Gentoo Bugzilla but to the
104 sunrise tracker/whatever."
105 brix perhaps a link to the summary of the Council meeting?
106 KingTaco amne, correct, but I feel that genstef would do that anyway, as
107 it only hurts sunrise users
108 genstef plasmaroo: that is already in the FAQ, no bugs for sunrise at all.
109 KingTaco so, everyone cool?
110 genstef KingTaco: we cannot really update bugzilla comments :(
111 amne KingTaco: appearently it's not been done yet ;-)
112 KingTaco genstef, no, just add a new link when you clean up the bug
113 genstef ok.
114 KingTaco amne, dude, we just decided how to handle this 30 seconds ago
115 plasmaroo genstef: Okay, so if you link to the FAQ then that would be nice.
116 genstef plasmaroo: link to the FAQ where?
117 KingTaco someone with better english than I want to summerize/log this
118 and send it to the world?
119 plasmaroo On sunrise pages I suppose
120 plasmaroo KingTaco: If somebody else doesn't get to it by tomorrow sure
121 but it's getting late here :)
122 KingTaco the last thing that I have to say is that when/if the council
123 makes a firm decision, it will superceed anything we set forth here
124 brix KingTaco: of course
125 genstef updating the project page
126 amne KingTaco: the outdated links have been there since the project was
127 suspended, that was my point ;-)
128 plasmaroo genstef: danke
129 tantive__ wow
130 brix genstef: please add a link to the summary of the Council meeting?
131 tantive__ so everyone is happy again?
132 jakub amne: yes, we can't wipe bugzilla comments, they'll be there
133 forever...
134 genstef brix: ok, will do
135 plasmaroo tantive__: I hope so
136 KingTaco amne, I'm confident that the sunrise people will make the
137 nesessary corrections... if after a couple of days you still find a bad
138 one, please let genstef know
139 brix genstef: thank you
140 tantive__ thanks everyone
141 KingTaco surely
142 tantive__ and not lets get back to work
143 tantive__ (or to bed)
144 plasmaroo :]
145 KingTaco s/t/w
146 amne jakub: i know, but update - which i hope will happen now
147 KingTaco ok, I'm going to send a raw log to -dev
148 brix will the whiteboard and keywords of the bug reports be wiped clean?
149 KingTaco brix, yes, they are not to be used at this point
150 brix KingTaco: ok, I'm happy then
151 brix thanks all
152 jakub please, be so kind and only wipe the relevant ones
153 tantive__ yeah
154 tantive__ halleluja
155 plasmaroo Ok, great.
161 Mike Doty kingtaco -at- gentoo.org
162 Gentoo/AMD64 Strategic Lead
163 Gentoo Developer Relations
164 Gentoo Recruitment Lead
165 Gentoo Infrastructure
166 GPG: 0094 7F06 913E 78D6 F1BB 06BA D0AD D125 A797 C7A7
168 --
169 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list