From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla usage by gentoo-java's doing migration work
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:55:15
1 On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 22:18 +1000, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 06:50 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
3 > > > OK, so - java folks, please, take your java migration overlay bugs
4 > > > somewhere else from bugzilla.
5 >
6 > The gentoo-java developers have been working their tails off for over a
7 > year to do a massive migration (far broader reaching than the average
8 > GCC major version upgrade). That you would turn around and tell them to
9 > begone from Gentoo bugzilla with this work is really a bit off colour.
10 No, it just shows that two different standards are applied and jakub (as
11 well as some others) do not wish for any discrimination.
12 If sunrise gets blocked with the argument "it's an overlay" then, by
13 logic, the Java overlay should get the same treatment, even if this is
14 stupid, unfair and stupid.
15
16 > They deserve every possible accolade we can give them for their
17 > dedication to the cause, and every bit of support we can muster to help
18 > them see this project through to completion.
19 I agree with you there. While I'd prefer to get rid of Java I don't let
20 that influence my behaviour towards the project (or I'd have kicked them
21 off my server a long time ago!)
22
23 I'm sorry if the sunrise-related decisions have negative influence on
24 other projects and I hope that these issues get sorted out soon.
25 Personally I find this debate silly, jokey and genstef have done
26 whatever they could to reach a compromise for sunrise without castrating
27 the project. If that isn't enough it starts to look to me like an attack
28 on the persons and not on the technical structure.
29
30 wkr,
31 Patrick
35 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move