From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: Yuri Enshin <kot@××××××××××××××.ru>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:15:00
1 On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 01:16, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > This seems to be opposite of my reply I just sent :)
6 > I would agree that man-pages (and maybe man also, but many packages depend on
7 > it without mentioning it in DEPEND) should probably not be in system (along
8 > with all other documents). In fact, it would probably be a good idea to make
9 > a 'man' and 'info' USE flag and only install manpages/infopages when they are
10 > set.
11
12 Man pages is an integrate part of a system in my opinion - how anyhow
13 are you going to tell them to RTFM if not there :P
14
15 > ext2/ext3 are still considered Linux native, so that may be justification for
16 > their inclusion in system, if not for the fact that reiserfs is a bad idea
17 > for a /boot partition... I wouldn't have any objection to their removal from
18 > system, though.
19
20 e2fsprogs provide /sbin/fsck ... 8)
21
22 > If rsync is in system, it probably should be removed. Portage could quite
23 > easilly just install it when the user tries to sync if need be.
24
25 So we devs are going to start moaning because we have rsync installed ?
26
27 > hdparm, fbset may also be neccesary for system usage in some cases. I would
28 > agree that 'less' does not belong in system, though.
29
30 Hmm, i would not agree 100% 8)
31
32 ------------------------------
33 $ PAGER=foo man gcc
34 sh: line 1: foo: command not found
35 Error executing formatting or display command.
36 System command (cd /usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/man &&
37 (echo ".ll 11.1i"; echo ".nr LL 11.1i"; echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/gunzip -c
38 '/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/man/man1/gcc.1.gz'; echo;
39 echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/gtbl | /usr/bin/nroff -Tlatin1 -c
40 -mandoc | foo) exited with status 127.
41 No manual entry for gcc
42 -------------------------------
43
44 But then I guess man pages is not needed, right :) Question is, is
45 'more' needed there - that I would say no, but then I feel 'less' is
46 more the default ...
47
48 > To exclude network related programs from system, one would have to modify
49 > baselayout to use the nonetwork initlevel by default logically, and I don't
50 > think that would be too simple (and might require a 'network' USE flag).
54 In general the 'system' profile have everything that should be needed to
55 get a system functioning at a minimal level, with then a few extras that
56 we found to be annoying in general. Take perl - sure its big, but
57 automake is a perl script ..... is automake required on a Gentoo box ?
58
59 All in all, most things in there is after careful thought - and should
60 be removed after 10x more of 'careful thought'.