From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
To: azarah@g.o
Cc: Yuri Enshin <kot@××××××××××××××.ru>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 02:19:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sunday 24 August 2003 08:15 am, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
5 > Man pages is an integrate part of a system in my opinion - how anyhow
6 > are you going to tell them to RTFM if not there :P
7 Have the install manual suggest installation of them.
8 >
9 > > ext2/ext3 are still considered Linux native, so that may be justification
10 > > for their inclusion in system, if not for the fact that reiserfs is a bad
11 > > idea for a /boot partition... I wouldn't have any objection to their
12 > > removal from system, though.
13 >
14 > e2fsprogs provide /sbin/fsck ... 8)
15 fsck, unless I'm mistaken, merely detects the filesystem and runs
16 fsck.{ext3,xfs,reiserfs,etc}. It could probably be provided by all packages
17 which provide a fsck, or baselayout.
18 >
19 > > If rsync is in system, it probably should be removed. Portage could quite
20 > > easilly just install it when the user tries to sync if need be.
21 >
22 > So we devs are going to start moaning because we have rsync installed ?
23 I doubt anyone is going to whine because they have something they don't need
24 installed. The reason to whine is because it's installed *by default*. rsync
25 is really cool, but it doesn't really have any reason for being installed
26 before the user wants it.
27 >
28 > > hdparm, fbset may also be neccesary for system usage in some cases. I
29 > > would agree that 'less' does not belong in system, though.
30 >
31 > Hmm, i would not agree 100% 8)
32 >
33 > ------------------------------
34 > $ PAGER=foo man gcc
35 > sh: line 1: foo: command not found
36 > Error executing formatting or display command.
37 > System command (cd /usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/man &&
38 > (echo ".ll 11.1i"; echo ".nr LL 11.1i"; echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/gunzip -c
39 > '/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/man/man1/gcc.1.gz'; echo;
40 > echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/gtbl | /usr/bin/nroff -Tlatin1 -c
41 > -mandoc | foo) exited with status 127.
42 > No manual entry for gcc
43 > -------------------------------
44 >
45 > But then I guess man pages is not needed, right :) Question is, is
46 > 'more' needed there - that I would say no, but then I feel 'less' is
47 > more the default ...
48 >
49 > > To exclude network related programs from system, one would have to modify
50 > > baselayout to use the nonetwork initlevel by default logically, and I
51 > > don't think that would be too simple (and might require a 'network' USE
52 > > flag).
53 >
54 > In general the 'system' profile have everything that should be needed to
55 > get a system functioning at a minimal level, with then a few extras that
56 > we found to be annoying in general. Take perl - sure its big, but
57 > automake is a perl script ..... is automake required on a Gentoo box ?
58 >
59 > All in all, most things in there is after careful thought - and should
60 > be removed after 10x more of 'careful thought'.
61 - --
62 Luke-Jr
63 Developer, Gentoo Linux
64 http://www.gentoo.org/