From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: waltdnes@××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 18:08:11
1 On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:53:41 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 07:21:21AM +0000, Duncan wrote
5 > > Walter Dnes posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:33:04 -0500 as excerpted:
6 > >
7 > > > [Udev-systemd has] essentially announced ahead of time that most bugs
8 > > > from non-systemd users would be closed with WONTFIX.
9 > >
10 > > Agreed, to this point.
11 > >
12 > > > Actually, for political reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a bunch
13 > > > bugs+patches, and gets them rejected. Then whenever anyone complains
14 > > > about not sharing code, show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails from
15 > > > systemd/udev maintainers.
16 > >
17 > > This attitude is and the described events would be... unfortunate.
18 > >
19 > > For the reasons you list, I don't believe people should be /surprised/ if
20 > > many such bugs+patches are rejected after submission, but that wouldn't
21 > > make it any less unfortunate, and IMO, hoping they DO get rejected is the
22 > > wrong attitude to have.
23 >
24 > I should've been clearer in my email, rather than a train-of-thought
25 > approach...
26 >
27 > 1) For appearance's sake and to make our position better in outsiders'
28 > view, I *HOPE* that eudev developers are co-operative in regards to
29 > sharing patches with systemd/udev.
30 >
31 > 2) Given past history, I *EXPECT* at least some bugs to be "resolved"
32 > by the systemd/udev developers as WONTFIX. It was their attitude that
33 > led to eudev in the first place.
34 >
35 > Here's a brief overview of why I think that eudev (or equivalant) is
36 > necessary...
37 >
38 > * Lennart Poettering wrote systemd
39 >
40 > * systemd will not run on machines with a separate /usr, and no
41 > initramfs.
42
43 Waaait, what? Did something change lately or are you just repeating
44 the same bullshit for months?
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny