From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:46:20
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote: [Tue Mar 06 2007, 02:27:00PM CST]
2 > That remainst to be debateable. It is however also true that he is a party
3 > with a vested interest in the process. As such we must be warry of what we
4 > allow.
5
6 I think you (and many others, including drobbins) have missed something
7 important here. I'm noticing an implicit assumption that spb and
8 crew are writing The Gentoo EAPI-0 Spec (TM), and that once they're done
9 it will be the official document describing the official ebuild spec.
10 None of that is actually true, as far as I can tell.
11
12 If I understand the process correctly, spb et al are writing their best
13 vision of an ebuild spec, while trying to strike a reasonable
14 compromise between what portage does and what it should be doing, but
15 once they're done it's going to be submitted to the Council and the
16 community to be analyzed, commented upon, and accepted in part, in
17 whole, or not at all by the Council. If they take too long, or their
18 work is too paludis-biased, or if people just don't trust the authors,
19 then nothing is preventing anybody else from writing a competing spec.
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76