From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:33:49
1 On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:27:56 +0200
2 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > No point. A 0 package manager still couldn't use a 0.1 ebuild.
5 > >
6 > That's true, it has at least to be aware the there's an EAPI.
7 > But how does such a package manager handle .ebuild-0 files? Ignore
8 > them? Failing because of unknown files in a package-dir?
9 > Should we care about package managers not being aware of the
10 > existence of EAPI's?
11
12 Package managers can't do *anything* with ebuilds with unsupported
13 EAPIs anyway. Encouraging package managers to handle ebuilds with
14 unsupported EAPIs in any way just massively limits what can be done in
15 future EAPIs.
18 Ciaran McCreesh