From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:28:27
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:45:37 +0200
4 > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
5 >> And why don't we change the versioning of the EAPI to a "X.Y" scheme
6 >> and demand that changes in the minor version must not break sourcing
7 >> of the ebuild with older package managers and that major versions do.
8 >> Major version numbers are written in the postfix, while minor version
9 >> numbers are written in the ebuild itself as EAPI_MINOR="1". So, the
10 >> current EAPI 1 would then be in fact "0.1".
11 >
12 > No point. A 0 package manager still couldn't use a 0.1 ebuild.
13 >
14 That's true, it has at least to be aware the there's an EAPI.
15 But how does such a package manager handle .ebuild-0 files? Ignore them?
16 Failing because of unknown files in a package-dir?
17 Should we care about package managers not being aware of the existence of
18 EAPI's?
19
20 The advantage of the above would be that we could gradually implement new
21 (not-breaking-sourcing) features incrementing the minor version. Avoiding
22 big chunks of changes (which usually means greater risk).
26 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list