From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:46:06
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:27:56 +0200
4 > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 >> > No point. A 0 package manager still couldn't use a 0.1 ebuild.
7 >> >
8 >> That's true, it has at least to be aware the there's an EAPI.
9 >> But how does such a package manager handle .ebuild-0 files? Ignore
10 >> them? Failing because of unknown files in a package-dir?
11 >> Should we care about package managers not being aware of the
12 >> existence of EAPI's?
13 >
14 > Package managers can't do *anything* with ebuilds with unsupported
15 > EAPIs anyway. Encouraging package managers to handle ebuilds with
16 > unsupported EAPIs in any way just massively limits what can be done in
17 > future EAPIs.
18 >
19 Em, that's really not what I meant. The main problem GLEP 55 describes is
20 that with the current system we're limited to changes which don't break
21 sourcing the ebuild (since if it would break sourcing we couldn't even find
22 out the ebuild's EAPI version and therefore not whether the currently used
23 package manager can handle that ebuild).
24 That package managers can't do anything else than masking ebuilds with
25 unsupported EAPIs is clear.
26 But what I wanted to say is:
27 Having the EAPI versioned like this: X.Y where X is the postfix part of the
28 ebuild (foo-1.0.ebuild-X) and Y the "EAPI=Y" in the ebuild itself we could
29 increment Y in case the changes to the EAPI don't break sourcing (again: a
30 package manager will have to mask those ebuilds) while changes breaking the
31 sourcing of the ebuild need an increment of X to avoid that pm's not being
32 able to even source such an ebuild still can mask it properly (or just
33 ignore it).
37 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list