From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing the distinction between UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bugs
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 11:49:05
1 >>>>> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 >> > I'd like to propose replacing the current UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED
4 >> > bug states with a simple NEW state. Why?
5 >>
6 >> > 1. Only a handful of developers actually uses these two statuses
7 >> > in a meaningful way.
8 >>
9 >> > 2. Some users are confused and demotivated by having their bugs stay
10 >> > UNCONFIRMED for a long time.
11 >>
12 >> Then rename UNCONFIRMED to NEW-WITH-SUGAR-ON-TOP-WE-ARE-A-HAPPY-
13 >> COMMUNITY,
14
15 > Done.
16
17 Seriously, we had UNCONFIRMED, NEW, and ASSIGNED before. The default
18 status used to be NEW, but with "expert" reporting users could
19 explicitly assign the status to UNCONFIRMED.
20
21 Some people found that not satisfactory, so NEW and ASSIGNED were
22 replaced by CONFIRMED and IN_PROGRESS. (We also had status REOPENED
23 which was removed with the same change.) Unfortunately, I cannot find
24 the old discussion, but [1] suggests that the change took place in 2011
25 or before.
26
27 The Bugzilla Guide [2] still has the old wording:
28
29 | • UNCONFIRMED - You're generally not going to see this too often.
30 | This means that a bug reporter has opened a bug using the advanced
31 | method and is uncertain their bug is an actual bug.
32 | • NEW - Bugs that are first opened are considered new.
33
34 Tracing the history of that text, it was the same in 2005 [3], and seems
35 to originate from [4].
36
37 A previous discussion about this topic (started by you :) can be found
38 in [5], BTW.
39
40 Ulrich
41