From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] $svcdir options (was baselayout-1.13 going into ~ARCH soon)
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:02:25
1 OK, so some people have raised concerns about writing in /lib is ugly and
2 against LFS. Others have raised concerns about loosing their ramdisk support.
3
4 So - how do people feel about always keeping it mounted as a ramdisk (default
5 tmpfs, then ramfs then ramdisk) in /lib/rcscripts/init.d? That means we're
6 not writing to /lib directly and not using /var which makes me happy.
7
8 ramdisk users and BSD users will loose the size of memory (default 1 meg)
9 allocated, but this is definable. We an also preserve the deptrees between
10 reboots if /lib/rcscripts is writeable so we can write it back when we
11 shutdown.
12
13 A net benefit of this is that we would could remove around 60 lines of code
14 which handle the moving of $svcdir to disk whilst the system is active
15 (handles locking, timeouts, nice messages, etc)
16
17 The only downside is that ramdisk and BSD users do then have the potential to
18 run out of space, but I've yet to see my 1meg svcdir on BSD go over 13%
19 usage.
20
21 So does this make everyone happy?
22 Thoughts?
25 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
26 Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD Developer (baselayout, networking)
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list