From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: yngwin@g.o
Subject: Re: [OT/NIT] Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:40:48
1 On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:00:38 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 21 April 2013 23:05, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:53:28 +0800
7 > > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > PS: btw, some hunks are weird in your commit, a locale issue ?
10 > > > >
11 > > >
12 > > > No, just a line in my vimrc that removes trailing whitespace.
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > You should probably disable it or remove trailing whitespaces in a
16 > > separate commit though. Having functional changes mixed with
17 > > whitespace/cosmetics in a single commit makes it hard to read
18 > > and understand.
19 > >
20 > > [This is really a nitpick, no need to have a debate, it's only a
21 > > suggestion ;)]
22 > >
23 > > Alexis.
26 > I don't see the problem.
27
28 "Having functional changes mixed with whitespace/cosmetics in a single
29 commit makes it hard to read and understand."
30
31 > Also, in this case I see only one extra hunk.
32 > But once we have proper tools (like git) we can revisit this.
33
34 I don't see how git helps. You'll have to commit twice then push, vs
35 commit twice with cvs.
36
37 > I don't think there is currently any guideline in devmanual that
38 > recommends not mixing functional changes with cosmetics.
39
40 I was pretty sure there was one but can't find it anymore. Anyway, I
41 don't think there needs to be any rule for this, it is common sense.
42
43 Alexis.