From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: azarah@g.o
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:38:24
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 19:20, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > So how are any of these going to help if you do not trust us or any
3 > other developers/upstream_authors, encryption, etc, etc. I mean,
4 > this *IS* what this whole issue is about, no ?
5 No. I trust you. But trusting you doesnt mean that the ebuild you checked in
6 to the tree arrives at my hardrive unmodified. There is no way for you as a
7 human beeing to garantee this to me. Instead it should be expected that the
8 ebuild gets modified (by faulty software/hardware/network/whatever or by a
9 malicious attacker). So this must be taken care of.
10
11 With Manifest and digest portage very much points in the right direction, but
12 this is not enough, from my point of view.
13
14 Jan
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list