From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: azarah@g.o
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion rsync over ssl/ssh
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:48:52
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 21:43, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > No. I trust you. But trusting you doesnt mean that the ebuild you checked
3 > in to the tree arrives at my hardrive unmodified. There is no way for you
4 > as a human beeing to garantee this to me. Instead it should be expected
5 > that the ebuild gets modified (by faulty software/hardware/network/whatever
6 > or by a malicious attacker). So this must be taken care of.
7 I give you an example:
8 With so many gentoo-rsync hosts spread all over and the use of unencripted
9 rsync transfer a man in the middle attack (eg. by arp-spoofing or whatever),
10 that inserts an malicious ebuild along with digest and Manifest into the
11 rsync stream is very much imaginable to me.
12
13 So i suggest to, as quickly as possible, establish the infrastucture to do
14 rsync over ssl/ssl or other secure transport.
15
16 Jan
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list